Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Creamed Spinach


This is one of the Healthier versions of Creamed Spinach I've found. I came across this one on in a daily newsletter I subscribe to from Dr. Gourmet. I tweeked a couple of things to make it my own. Quick, tasty and healthy. Even my wife liked it.


1   10-ounce package frozen spinach (thawed)
1   tsp olive oil
1/2  small red onion, diced
1/4  cup 2% milk
1 ounce  reduced fat cream cheese (cut into 
               small chunks for easier melting)
1/8 tsp salt and pepper each (to taste)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
parmesan cheese for garnish

Place the spinach in a strainer and press with a rubber spatula or spoon to remove all the excess water.
Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened.
Add the spinach and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the milk, cream cheese, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Cook until the cheese is melted and well blended into the spinach.

Makes about 2 one cup servings.

Calories 75; Total Fat 3g; Cholesterol 1mg; Sodium 300mg; Total Carbohydrates 8g; Protein 6g.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment